Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Tale Between Two Races - Part III

Okay, November brought a new interest for Charlotte (above) - self portraits, both photographic and hand drawn. Such a serious face, very unusual for Charli....lol

Ella got a new room, the old main bedroom. We painted it a neutral sort of colour and let Ella have one wall in her fave (yellow). I sponged it over the base, it looks better in real life than in the photo. Ella's pretty pleased with the whole affair.

And November brought heaps of gardening and unusual flowers. Here above is Tim's Dragon Arum Lily. It may look unimpressive in the photo but the flower petal is longer than two foot and the colour is a really, really deep magenta red which looks nearly black. It is supposed to be a rare plant but they grow like weeds at ours. They are kept down the back away from the house because they smell like fly spray or rotten meat or something gross.


This photo above. These are my pride and joy. I got the seeds of these gorgeous girls from a friend in Amsterdam. Black Hollyhocks. They are the blackest flower I've ever grown and I've been trying for a lot of years now. They are a really deep purple with red middles, but from further than a foot away they really look black as night. Absolutely gorgeous.


This bearded iris is a hybrid I bought from Dandenong (I think). I forget it's name, but it's pretty nice and has about 5 different colours in the petals from orange to magenta. We transported about 200 irises to the front garden, but this one and another rare one (yes, fine, it's a black orchid, I do not have OCD though, it's a hobby, people have hobbies surely...) have stayed out the back and survived the ducks. I repotted all my cybidium orchids this month, but left my dendrobium orchids in the same pots because they flowered for the first time this year (can't believe I didn't photograph that...lol) after buying them all about 5 years ago.




No comments: